How was the process?
To start with we realised we had to get into Dundee and Lochee specifically. This was a key step in our journey through the project and by acting quickly it allowed us to get deep into the heart of the project area. This was a positive note about out approach and one I will look to continue in future projects. As they say – the early bird catches the worm.
The one big block which I think it took a while to do was to get rid of our preconceptions as group with mixed knowledge of Dundee and the topic it was interesting to see how we all had notions of the situation before we started. Some of these seemed to be true and some were false but I think it caused a small effect on how we spoke to people and maybe resulted in us leading a few interviewees and stakeholders in the conversations. In future I think it would help to each write a hypothesis about the project area, the people and the context this way we can see what every person is thinking and use the team dynamic to counteract these assumptions and make sure we get a better overview of knowledge.
In terms of actually gaining the knowledge I think we made a smart move by targeting local businesses and the café. This offered us a rich insight into the people who are key to the community. However after reflecting on other groups approach we realise that there were other avenues such as the pub which would offer more information. Next time it would be better to map out the local services and key social areas so we can target the area with a plan of attack, then move on from there.
Reflecting on the production of our output I think we may have been a tad naive with the making process, despite story boarding and planning our video, it was the little things such as pre-editting and making the little content which cause the biggest delay. I think the way round this would be to try and include buffer zones to cover any delays or confusion which may occur.
How did the team perform?
As a team I think we performed well – we managed to divide up the tasks well, with each member using his and her skills best effect for their part in the process. The only thing we lacked as a team was a leader, the team dynamic was very democratic and that was a good thing for moral but resulted in delays when decisions were needed. This would maybe have been better solved if there was a project manager role to help the team in difficult areas and quicken the work pace.
As stated earlier the team worked well as a democracy but sometimes I had to try and step in as a leader when needed. This is something I am unaccustomed to and meant I was a little hesitant when called upon. It is however all part of the learning curve and it is better to get experience of this little and often as in this project than be thrown in at the deep end. As mentioned above I think the biggest thing to take from this project was to try and create a better action plan which incorporates buffer zones for any time delays.